A key requirement of the Local Development Framework is that it contributes to the aims of Sustainable Development. The government defines Sustainable Development as:
- Living within environmental limits
- Ensuring a strong healthy and just society
- Achieving a sustainable economy
- Promoting good governance
- Using sound science responsibly
To ensure that policies and proposals in the Local Development Framework contribute to sustainable development, each document produced will be subject to a Sustainability Appraisal (SA), incorporating the requirements of the EU Directive on Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA).
The process of SA / SEA for the LDF documents involves a number of stages which can be summarised as follows:
- Setting out current information about the District as it is today, together with an explanation of how things may change without the LDF.
- Identifying key issues affecting sustainable development in the District.
- Developing 'sustainability objectives' which the LDF document should work towards in order to achieve sustainable development.
- Testing the plans and policies in the LDF document under preparation against the sustainability objectives, in order to determine how they contribute to sustainable development.
- Using the results from 4) above, suggest and incorporate changes to the LDF document to ensure that it meets the sustainability objectives.
- Once the document has been adopted, its effect on sustainable development must be monitored.
The Council has undertaken a SA/SEA as part of its preparation of the Core Strategy and Site Specific Allocations of Land Documents. The text of this document can be found below. All the documents are PDF files. The Adobe Acrobat Reader may be requried to view them.
SEA/SA Final Report (Part A) (1,660kb)
SEA/SA Final Report (Part B) and Appendix 1 (488kb)
Appendix 2 to the SEA/SA document (93kb)
Appendix 3 to the SEA/SA document (84kb)
Appendices 4, 5 and 6 to the SEA/SA document (72kb)
Appendix 7 to the SEA/SA document (177kb)
Appendix 8 to the SEA/SA document (128kb)
Appendix 9 to the SEA/SA document (18kb)
Appendix 10 to the SEA/SA document (80kb)
Appendix 11 to the SEA/SA (131kb)
This document follows on from the draft Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment (972kb), published with the Preferred Options in March 2005 and the Scoping Report which was published with the Issues and Options in summer 2004. The Scoping Report (118kb) is also available in addition to the appendix (56kb) to the document.